Here are some things to talk about this weekend....
- Take a look at the videos Mrs. Dressler posted of our dance party here: Memorial School: Whole School Dance Party
- Congratulations to Dakota for being recognized on the Wall of Fame this week. Every time I look around in the morning or at dismissal, he is helping out around the classroom without being asked.
- Ms. Martin came in to discuss ways to name our feelings through the Zones of Regulation. This is good language to use at home, as well.
Math: My math class is finishing up Topic 3. Ask your child to describe the Distributive Property to you. It was the most challenging lesson in this topic!
Social Studies: We have been discussing the Seven Reasons to Explore this week. We began our unit on Explorers with a Jigsaw activity. One of the discussion questions was: What fears do you think explorers faced? Ask your child about the fears we discussed.
Science: The Solar System quizzes went home on Wednesday. I always allow students to do test corrections on social studies and science quizzes. They have the chance to earn back half of the points they lost if they correct their mistakes. Assessments are learning tools, too!
Reading: We have continued reading Morning Girl this week. Students are comparing and contrasting the two characters, Star Boy and Morning Girl. We had a very interesting discussion after reading chapter 5. Morning Girl was curious to find out what she looks like because they didn't have mirrors in the 1400's. I asked the class to respond to the question "How would life be different if you couldn't see your reflection? Would you like this? Why or why not?" Ask your child how they'd feel about that!
Writing: We continued working on Thanksgiving speeches in ELA. I challenged the students to come up with inviting leads and creative conclusions. Wait until you hear their speeches! We have also been learning about different types of sentences, how to correct fragments, and subjects and predicates.
Check out our whole school dance party!
- Please consider paying your PTO dues to help support all of the wonderful work that our PTO does!
- Order forms went home today for Memorial Pride clothing.
- Vocab parade is Monday, October 26th
- Thanksgiving Speeches will take place on November
- Sign up for conferences at the following link OR e-mail me to schedule an appointment for December 3rd. http://bit.ly/1VRHYfk
- I'll be using the Remind app to send out quick reminders to parents. Be sure to sign up if you haven't yet! Text @mconcei to 81010. You'll receive quick reminders from me right to your phone. No need to download the app.
Enjoy the weekend!