Friday, October 9, 2015

That's a Wrap! Edition II


Here are some things to talk about this weekend....

We had Wall of Fame today. Be sure to ask who was recognized & what they did to get put on the "wall!" 

Math: My math class finished up Topic 2 and had our test today. We will be starting our unit on whole number multiplication on Tuesday. Multiplication facts are very important during this topic! Your child should be doing Reflex math three times per week. A quick note about math homework: some days I assign the re-teaching page, some days the practice page, and some days I assign both! I've stressed to the kids the importance of writing down the homework exactly as it is written on the board/the blog. 

Social Studies: I gave back the quizzes on ancient civilizations on Monday. Part of HW this week was to show this to an adult at home. I was very proud of how well everyone did!

Science: What perfect timing to begin learning about the moon after a recent Super Moon! We did a demonstration to show the various phases of the moon. Be sure to ask your child about our game of "Ms. C Says." I tried to trick them, but they were too quick! 






Reading: We kicked off the Global Read Aloud this week. We are reading Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt. Check out the book trailer . We will be using KidBlog to connect with a class in Canada. We read Thank you, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco and the students made connections between the two books. These two books are "goosebump" books for me. I've read it hundreds of times, but I always have to hold back the tears when reading Thank you, Mr. Falker!

Writing: We finished up our personal narratives about one moment in time at Camp Bournedale and Camp Eagle. I shared my favorite phrase about teaching writing with our class: "When you think you're done, you're probably not!" I challenged them to include similes and sensory details in their writing. The final product will be produced using Book Creator. Wait until you read them! 

Important Info: 
  • No School Monday (Columbus Day)
  • Please consider paying your PTO dues to help support all of the wonderful work that our PTO does! 
  • Sign up for conferences at the following link OR e-mail me to schedule an appointment for December 3rd.  http://bit.ly/1VRHYfk 
  • I'll be using the Remind app to send out quick reminders to parents. Be sure to sign up if you haven't yet!  Text @mconcei to 81010. You'll receive quick reminders from me right to your phone. No need to download the app. 

    Enjoy the LONG weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment